Thursday, September 11, 2008

So Happy It's Thursday!!

Instead of TGIF, S.H.I.T is more appropriate here since it is our version of Friday! We all have colds right now, probably from the adjustment and the neverending dust that is in the air. Tonight we are headed back to the Jumeirah Beach Hotel. When we ate there for Malaysian night, we entered a drawing and won two free dinners! AND THANK GOODNESS STEVE GOT HIS VISA TODAY!!!!!
We have now been here a month....
So here is my list of what I have learned:
  1. Deoderant is still my friend (and needs to be shared with others).
  2. Driving is still scary, but I have quickly learned to honk & ignore signs (like everyone else)
  3. Handwashing dishes sucks!
  4. 102 degrees is considered cooler.
  5. How to convert fahrenheit to celsius (almost burned cinnamon rolls).
  6. Mcdonald's fries taste exactly the same:)
  7. Poptarts do not exist in the UAE (dont worry, 16 boxes getting shipped).
  8. 38th floor-great for views, scary for earthquakes!
  9. George Forman grill is my new best friend!
  10. And last but not least, I have come to realize that I have done something right in raising the boys...they have yet to comment on the dress differences of various cultures!!

3 comments:

Heather Smith of Studio H Salon said...

OMGosh, I am so loving your blog, you are having the BEST time over there...or MAKING the BEST of being over there either way what a GREAT adventure for your family. I agree that the uniforms SUCK and they WILL rag you when they are older but they will Appreciate this education. Would love to see a pic of the pool on top of the building you mentioned. Also, what do hospitals or med centers look like and are there drive thru Mc D's or just in the malls? Lil things that interest me...duh huh> Love ya have a great weekend

Aunt Linda said...

Hello Linda, Steve, and the boys!

How exciting to visit your blog and see the beautiful surroundings you are living in. I love the pictures of the malls and the water is so inviting. Do the women of Dubai swim? I am not certain if Dubai is mostly populated by foreigners from outside of the middle east, but I assume the Muslim influence does impact on you, how you dress, etc. I will follow your news online and will send your blog page to Pamela, Lansing and Tasneem (who is now at Darmouth.) She visited her Aunt and Uncle Khalid who are now living in your neighboring country, Qatar. If you stay long enough maybe she and I will come to visit you. Right now, we have just organized a trip to Italy for next Spring with Pamela's littlest, Noora and Lans' oldest Eli. They will be ten by the time of our trip. We are awaiting the arrival of Hurricane Ike which should pass very close by our lake house and potentially right over Lans and Chelsea's. Love, Aunt Linda

Tommy T. said...

Hi! to my favorite niece! (Don't read too much into that. I only have two nieces and my sister's girl can best be descibed as "nice hair, but boring.")

I am more impressed with you taking your boys and making this move than I could ever express.

Your blog shows spirit and demonstrates your great resilence and flexibility.

If you need an escape, we'll be spending the winter boarding at Taos, New Mexico and have room for two adults and two kids as guests.

Give my respect and regards to your plucky husband, please.

Love and Luck!!

Uncle Tom, from the cabin in Texas.